CALL OF NEW SENIOR PASTOR UPDATE
Thank you to all 262 voting members and all additional associate members, seasonal members, and friends who came to our special congregational meeting on February 16. After the count, there were three “no” votes, one “abstention,” and 258 “yes” votes.
All the paperwork for Pastor Mike Sager’s call has been submitted and approved by Presiding Bishop Hutterer. Pastor Mike has accepted the call to Desert Hills Lutheran Church and plans to be here ready to start the week of March 14.
Thank you to the Seekers for their hard work and dedication in finding the right person for DHLC. Thank you also to all the members and friends who prayed for guidance and wisdom during this process. Please keep Pastor Mike and his family in your prayers as they make their move to Green Valley and Desert Hills Lutheran Church and keep his current congregation in your prayers as they begin the call process for their church.
SPECIAL CONGREGATIONAL MEETING TO CALL A NEW SENIOR PASTOR
Desert Hills Lutheran Church will be holding a special congregational meeting to call a new senior pastor on Sunday, January 16 at 12:15 pm. Those choosing to participate in the sanctuary will be required to wear a mask. However, there will be a special section set up in the Fellowship Hall for those wishing not to wear a mask to sit and participate via a live stream. Everyone is invited to attend this once in a decade (or more) event. Only voting members in attendance will be able to cast a vote for the new senior pastor candidate. We hope to see everyone there
Pastor Michael (Mike) Sager was recommended by the Call Committee and
- Pastor - Hope Lutheran Church, Eagle, ID, 2006-Present
- Pastor - Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, Spokane, WA, 1997 - 2006
- Associate Pastor - Calvary/Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Spokane, WA, 1994 - 1997
- Master of Divinity - Wartburg Seminary, 1994
- Bachelor of Business Administration - Portland State University, 1985
- Called to ministry while working for KPMG as an accountant because his co-workers didn’t feel a relationship with their own pastors.
- Seniors bring wisdom and he is looking forward to working with this population.
- Stewardship is a way to live life and honor God in all we do.
- Seeing the light in someone’s eyes is one of the reasons he became a pastor.
- Energized by interacting with people.
- Series based sermons, more conversational in nature.
- Current congregation is not comprised of “historical Lutherans.”
- Outreach is important; wants members and the church to be an asset and of service to the community.
- Enjoys proclaiming Jesus’ love and helping people see how God is working in their lives.
- Laughter is healing, even in grief.
- Toastmaster trained.
- Enjoys outdoor activities (golf/tennis/pickleball), reading/movies.
- Online Sermons (YouTube Channel): Hope Lutheran - YouTube
- Spouse - Kristin - Former registered nurse, former early childhood educator, is a licensed Brain Gym instructor/consultant with areas of expertise: personal health and well-being; anxiety, depression; learning challenges.
- Children - Ben (26) financial analyst; Ethan (23) global development.
Desert Hills Lutheran Church Ministry Site Profile
The Ministry Site Profile (MSP) is intended for use by congregations and church-related organizations that are seeking to call a rostered minister of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, or a First Call candidate for rostered ministry. Once complete, this form is submitted electronically to the synod bishop for review and posting to the “Current Openings” listing on the ELCA website. DHLC has completed and submitted the MSP to the Grand Canyon Synod. Please click the link below to read the completed submission.
Interested in Applying as the Senior Pastor at DHLC
Applications are submitted through the Grand Canyon Synod. If you or someone you know is interested in calling Desert Hills Lutheran Church home, please search for Desert Hills Lutheran Church on the ELCA Current Openings page or inquire with Pastor Pat Reed, Congregation Coach, by phone 480-580-3401 or email . We hope the Holy Spirit moves you to make DHLC home.
Click on the date to read previous seeker updates